Thursday, January 15, 2009

Gettysburg.

We're on the move again... We put the Lillie-Dog on a plane to Utah and headed north! Monday we drove from NC, through Virginia, Maryland, and into Pennsylvania to see Gettysburg. Ben has been SOO excited to see Gettysburg! He even rented the Gettysburg movie again. I'm not much for battlefields but it was really amazing!

First we saw a short movie narrated by Morgan Freeman (who I've nicknamed God cause he always plays Him in movies) with Sam Waterston (Jack McCoy from Law & Order) as Lincoln's voice. It was a great movie and got me interested. Next we went to the brand new museum where Ben drooled over all the relic weapons. After that, we walked around part of the national cemetery. It was a very solemn experience, seeing the trench graves and the hundreds of unknown grave markers. I've never seen anything like it.







See all the cannons? Cool.

We climbed a lookout tower with a million stairs. My legs were sore the next day, but the view of the valley was so amazing!
I'm awful at history and knew about nothing about Gettysburg before we went. I learned so much and really gained an understanding and appreciation for what happened there. I'm so glad we went!

1 comments:

katie said...

I went there in middle school and thought it was neat, but would totally love to go back and re-learn stuff. Great pics! So is your next journey after Delaware to come to Michigan?