Saturday, February 19, 2011

So High-Tech.

Our apartment here is what I call "high-tech Korean".  For example, our doorbell has a video monitor, our front door lock is an electronic touch keypad, and the hot water heater isn't a tank - water is heated as it runs through the pipes of the water heater (you never run out of hot water!) so you have to turn it on before taking a shower or doing dishes.  One of my favorite high tech parts of this apartment is the floor heating.  To heat the house, water pipes run under the floors and heat the room from the floor up.  Very nice when sitting on the floor (which I do a lot when studying).  We never really knew how the pipes worked, until the other day when Mr.Ben cleaned the floors while the heat was on.  



3 comments:

Marie said...

That's cool! I wonder if the door lock could ever have some glitches? I might worry about that, but everything else seems really neat. Is it more energy/cost efficient to heat the rooms/water the way that they do?

Ben and Meg said...

I don't worry too much about the door, but the battery hasn't died on us yet. The management office is across the little road, so it'd be easy to get it fixed. I'm not sure about the energy/cost efficiency of the floors. Gas and electric cost a little more here, so its hard to tell about the price difference. I've been keeping up with your blog - the house is coming along quickly! I'm excited to see the finished product. Miss you guys!

Lisa Brown said...

That is awesome! I wish we had heated floors in our master bath, because that is where I find myself barefoot the most often.

Oh, and I love the picture with the helmet and goggles :).