Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ship Island!

Last weekend we went to Ship Island! It's about 11 miles south of Gulfport, Mississippi and is a part of the islands that stand between the Gulf of Mexico and the Mississippi Sound. On Ship Island is Fort Massachusetts, a strategic military post built around the time of the Civil War to protect the Mississippi ports.

The ferry ride took about an hour each way. It was amazing! There were these dark grey/black dolphins everywhere. We saw them on the way there, at various times while on the island, and on the way back. When we got there, we immediately took a tour of Ft Massachusetts. Here are some pics!

View of Fort Massachusetts from the ferry.

Me and Ben at the giant cannon.

View of the island from the top of Fort Massachusetts. So pretty!

2 comments:

kelsey said...

You two have go on so many adventures. I guess that is one advantage of being in the military. Looks like fun!

Laci Shupe said...

I am so jealous you two have been able to see so much. I wish I could go on a cruise with you but I don't think that James would go for that. I hope all is well and I miss you too. I think Maria really misses us but who wouldn't just kidding. Keep in touch.
Love ya